Every kayak angler probably has a list in their head about what bodies of water they want to visit in their lifetime. Places like the Devils River and the Susquehanna River come to mind along with many popular saltwater destinations. But right here in Arkansas there are probably lakes and rivers that none of us have visited yet that are fantastic fisheries. So I came up with a "bucket list" of places in the natural state that I would like to take the kayak in 2015.
1. Lake Atkins - Many people think the next state record may come from this small lake.
2. Millwood Lake - Although the lake has experienced drought conditions, this stump filled impoundment seems like a perfect place to take the yak.
3. Lake Chicot - This Mississippi River oxbow is said to have huge Florida strains swimming in it.
4. White Oak Lake - This lake is stocked with Florida strain bass and has given up a 13 lber, enough said.
5. Lake Monticello - Hundreds of bass over 10 lbs have been caught here, I must go!
6. Village Creek State Park Lakes - For over 20 years, the lakes at Village Creek have been giving up a steady yield of big Florida-strain largemouth bass. Dozens of 8-pound-plus bass have been caught in these two lakes.
There are some other spots I would also like to hit and I am sure there are hidden gems out there that I don't even know of yet. So take a little time this winter to come up with a "bucket list" of your own.